9944: Re: 9935: Re 9927: Journalistic standards and intellectual honesty - Antoine... (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

In the context of "journalistic standards and intellectual honesty", I'd like
to relate an incident I observed in Jacmel.

I was at one of the local internet places, and there were a few local radio
journalists there, reporting over the telephone on the "anti-Lavalas
uprising" taking place in the Southeast Department.  I was astonished to
discover that Cayes Jacmel was convulsed by an anti-Aristide demonstration
and that Jacmel itself was covered with anti-Lavalas graffitti!

I looked around Jacmel, I didn't see any graffitti.  I had just come through
Cayes Jacmel on my way back from the beach, I didn't see any demonstration.

I couldn't help it - "Bunch of liars!", I burst out.  "Not one of you
deserves the name of journalist - all you are is a bunch of propagandists for
the Convergence.  Have you forgotten what those people used to do to
journalists when they were in power?  Back then you didn't even have to lie,
all you had to do was tell the truth and they would kill you."

Not one had the grace to be ashamed, they merely remarked that economic
necessities are what they are, whatever that meant.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html