a74: Re: a51: Dorce to Chamberlain (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 12/19/2001 12:04:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, Greg
Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com writes:

<< The French "demander" here should've been translated as "ask" (a very
 common  "faux ami" error).  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I am not surprised.  "Demand "was way too strong and paternalistic, even for
France.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
But what is this "no moral authority" nonsense?  Are we not all in an
"international community" (however uneven or unjust) ?  The idea that
everything must be given and nothing asked/demanded -- is this not, yet
again, insulting Haitians by saying they need have no responsibility for
anything? (by not being asked to do things as a responsible state and
country).  That they should in effect just be beggars?
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You got all that from my little criticism???  You are a journalist?  You are
making my point for me, Mr. Chamberlain.  I don't consider what I said to be
nonsense.  What I mean is that countries that live in glass houses shouldn't
throw stones.  I mean that the superpower of the world (not France......the
USA) can't get a decent/legal election on the books yet they have the gall to
overreact to Haiti's very credible effort.  And then punish this little
country for electing someone other than their choice: Bazin.  Does France
tell the US that they demand that the presidential election be held again
because they didn't do it right the first time?  I am not insulting Haitians,
I am insulting nearly everyone else who stands in judgment of her.  I wish
you were as vehement about holding minority class Haitians to the same
standards as you do the masses.  They should not have to be beggars but that
is what the US and the international community would have them do.  I am
against this paternal, insulting, degrading treatment of a people who deserve
a break.  You know what?  I believe if tomorrow all the moneyed Haitians in
Haiti fell into the ocean (in some kind of ironic, karmic, boat people kind
of catastrophe), Haiti would be just fine, maybe for the first time in her
history!  Of course we would lose some good ones, but we are used to
accepting collateral damage.....
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
<<If Kathy's idea is accepted, it means no non-Haitian has the "moral
authority" to say Lavalas is corrupt and "demand/ask" that this stop before
more money is handed over (to be stolen at once by 'grands mangeurs.'  Or the
"moral authority" to say the  Convergence is a joke coalition and
"demand/ask" that they sort themselves out and make themselves attractive and
able enough to be chosen to serve their long-suffering compatriots.>>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Is that what the non-Haitian is demanding/asking of the convergence? I think
this is not what you say it is.......and I suspect that you know it and may
have some reason to sell your spin.  I think the world is being sold a bill
of goods on Aristide.  I think Haitians did what they were asked to do and
they got nothing but grief from the "International Community."  I think if
the world was serious about supporting democracy they would sit back and wait
and see what Aristide does with his damn five years just like I have to
suffer through my damn four years with that ignorant moron in the White
House!  Give the man his term and then vote for your guy when the time comes!
 This Republican obsession with winning AT ALL COST is ruining the WORLD.
The ends do not justify the means, folks.  Let democracy work.  (I say this
with full awareness that the US government doesn't really support democracy
in Haiti or at home or anywhere.)  But they give it lip service, and until we
have our last rights (pun intended) taken from us in the name of national
security, we still have power to make our elected officials sit up and take
notice.  We need to tell them to leave Haiti to their democracy and stop
supporting the convergence in the name of needing a viable opposition!  What
rot.  They never cared that Duvalier sucked that money down and never gave a
bit of it to the country.......why the moral high ground now???  WE HAVE NO
MORAL AUTHORITY to look down on HAITI...........we should be ashamed of
ourselves for our part in much of the world's misery.

Kathy Dorce