A106: A Response From Senou: Why go to Haiti? (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

There is a life in Haiti beside politic. Why go to
Haiti? Haiti is the cornerstone of civilization, yes
my friends in Haiti you see the meeting of three
continents Europe, Africa and America. You have to see
for yourselves this mysterious land. Haiti does not
have to many friends around the globe. Its birth had
put in jeopardy the slavery system in which many
countries were relied on the free labor. Its naissance
had divided America that had wanted a new Europe in
this continent. No wonder why the first black nation
was not invited in the first conference of this
continent despite helping many to get their freedom.
Yes my friends, my brothers had fought for the freedom
of the United States of America, we had fought for the
freedom of various countries in America Latin. Go to
Savannah, Ga; go to Caracas, Venezuela; we had
abolished slavery into the Dominican Republic but
unfortunately they remembered only that we had
occupied them for 21 years that I dispute. Go to
Venezuela and try to talk about Haiti in a negative
way in various colleges, with the average citizen,
they will defend Haiti fiercely, so far it is the only
country I know of respect us for helping them getting
their freedom. It is unfortunate Venezuela had not
become a great economic power, but I can tell you
Haitians are well received in Venezuela.
Why go to Haiti? We need to know a little about
history, the second independent country in this
continent and the second independent Black Country in
the world after Ethiopia. Haiti, the land of Toussaint
Louverture “le premier des noirs” people are talking
about Nelson Mandela, but I had a Toussaint who was
not concerned about luxurious lifestyle, he had used
his position to help free his brothers and sister from
the worst kind of slavery ever existed in to world. We
have Charlemagne Peralte who had fought fiercely the
US occupation and we have Daniel Fignolé who had
accepted the presidency to prevent my country from an
occupation.  We had great people, my friends.
Why go to Haiti? You should go for yourself and
explore the land of the artist, the land of
creativity, the land of the hope, the mystery land
with its voluptuous mountains, its deserted valleys
and its endless sea.
Why go to Haiti? Go you will see for yourself that
Haitian people stick together, and go along with each
other. This had explained the survival of this country
despite this misery. Before going to Haiti, go to
Miami, New York, Montreal, Bahamas, France, Guadeloupe
and now Atlanta, you will see lot of workers who sent
millions every months to help their relatives back
home. Most of you in this forum are either
professionals or students and belong to the middle
class and the upper class. To understand Haiti, ask
yourself a question why Haitian folks who are working
over here are sending almost all their paychecks back
home to help relatives? Some time, they are living in
a poor condition over here but still send the money,
why?
Today the Haiti situation is a little “hecky” but this
happen to many people in the world in various time,
the French Revolution, the Decadence era, the civil
war in the US, the rise and fall of the Soviet Union,
the conflict Israeli-Palestinian, the Irish conflict,
the problem between black and white in the US will it
ever be resolved. Take an example of the State of
Israel today, after 5 thousand years of misery the
Jews had organized themselves and created the State of
Israel. My friends, Haiti will comeback and rise again
do not underestimate the will and the determination of
Haitian People, it would have been a grave mistake to
do so, please check our history. May 18, 1803 will
repeat again, Nov 18, 1803 will repeat again, no doubt
about it and January 1, 1804 will repeat again. I hope
you don’t ask the same question Nicodeme had asked
Jesus that what do you mean “Si on n’est pas né de
nouveau on ne verra pas le royaume des cieux”
My friends, a new Haiti is coming, at my age I may not
see it, those of you who are twice or twice and half
of my age in this forum may not see it either, but one
thing remains certain there will be a new Haiti.
Explain: Contrary to what people might say, we have
resource in Haiti, the resource of Haiti is the land
itself, its location, its mountain, its sea, its
river, its small islands, its shape. My friends, the
country has not used its resources, La tortue one day
will be a great Tourist Attraction, La Gonave will
become an Amazing Island, l’ile-à-Vache will become an
attractive place and La navase (Navassa Island= A war
will be fought for that Island) will become a Historic
Place for the new martyrs of the new Haiti.
Why go to Haiti? You will visit the City of Poets,
Jeremie; the city of Hope, the Valley of Jacmel,;the
mysterious region, Cap Haitian where you will visit
the eighth marvelous monument in the world: the
Citadelle; the rice city, l’Ester, and a foreign city,
Ouanaminthe in that city you don’t know if you are in
Haiti or not, you will meet open minded people with
creativity.
Why go to Haiti?  many had portrait Haiti negatively
even the dissenting sons and daughters of this
country, but my friends Haiti is not Port-au-Prince.
Can you imagine the crime rate in Washington DC,
visiting only DC, you won’t say that you have visited
the United States, unless you are joking. As a real
tourist, you will visit Disney world, Universal
Studio, Coka Cola, Stone Mountain park, Hollywood, and
many zoos (..) the same thing applies if you visit
Haiti.  Go to the CITADELLE , visit Pestel,
Fort-Liberte, Ouanaminthe, Hinche, Cayes, Gonaives,
Jeremie, La Tortue, and Mirebalais ( I don’t even
mention Port-au-Prince that’s mean, it is not
important; do you care about visiting Washington DC
when you visit the United States)
Why go to Haiti? Just go and see for yourselves.
You will see people who will open their home for you,
they will help you freely my friends, and our
hospitality is none to one. This is why many who had
visited Haiti felt in love with the country. Since I’m
a Haitian native you might think that I’m biased, I’m
currently the chair of my dept you should give me the
benefit of the doubt( Since nobody can become Chair of
any dept where there is structure without doing
something :GOOD)  I invite you to approach anyone who
had visited Haiti (except the detractors of the
nation), they will tell you that the country is poor
but Haiti is an amazing place to visit. How these
people survive the worst misery of human kind? Why so
many who had visited Haiti open their heart to assist
Haitian kids? Why do you see many US citizen, Canadian
citizen and others are more Haitian than Haitian? Why
many foreigners are learning the Creole language just
to go to assist our brothers and sisters? Why?  Now,
Why go to Haiti? Why go to Israel? Why go to the
United States? Why go to Canada, Bahamas or Jamaica?
My friends, visiting more countries will expend your
knowledge, will make you more sensitive toward other
people and make you aware that the world is not what
you see in your environment.

Joseph Alfred
P.O. Box 334
Smyrna, GA 30081