a713: Convergence praises US secretary of state's remarks on resumingaid

From: JD Lemieux <lxhaiti@yahoo.com>

Haiti: Convergence praises US secretary of state's
remarks on resuming aid
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Feb 9, 2002

Text of report by Haitian Metropole radio on 8
February

The Democratic Convergence is pleased with the stance
adopted taken by US Secretary of State Colin Powell on
the question of resuming financial aid. The opposition
seized the opportunity to denounce the call issued by
Caricom and to ask the president of the republic to
take concrete actions. Paul Denis said:

[Denis] The reaction by the US government reflects a
good understanding of the situation in Haiti. It
reflects the position of the US government, which is
aimed at comforting and supporting the democratic
process in Haiti.

So, when Secretary of State Powell expressed his
concern about the instability in Haiti, about certain
actions by the government and asked that higher
standards should be drawn up before money is released
to the government, it means that the US government
truly understands the situation. I believe this will
help the Lavalas party and Aristide to understand that
it is important to seek a compromise, in a positive
manner, on the basis of a political agreement for the
future of the country.

[Journalist Rotchild Francois, Jr] We also noticed in
his statements that the Secretary of State also evoked
the issue of the management and the utilization of the
international aid by the Lavalas regime.

[Denis] It is clear to everybody that the management
of public affairs is strongly contested. We are
familiar with the scandals of the Lavalas Family, the
poor management of funds, the misuse of public money
for matters that have nothing to do with the progress
of the country. So it is imperative to pay attention
to the good governance and the good management of the
use of international funds for Haiti.

[Francois] And today, 7 February, the president issued
a call for dialogue with the opposition members. Are
you going to answer that invitation?

[Denis] We can tell him that we are ready to see
concrete actions. Aristide should start taking
concrete actions. We have had enough of words. You
[Aristide] should disarm your armed militia,
re-establish order and security in the country, and
ask the representatives elected in 2000, who were
wrongly elected, to resign.

Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French
1145 gmt 8 Feb 02

/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.