a836: RE: a803: Uncle Tom saint ? (fwd)

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

I cannot speak to this specific slave, but after reading & studying about
slavery & revolutions & maroons for years, it finally struck me that what
some might view as "docuility" is a CRUCIAL part of the anti-slavery
resistance. Some need to openly rebel and risk death, while others need to
surreptitiously raise & teach their children, survive, maintain the culture,
organize & protect the rebels & runaways, and learn up-close how to best
defeat the oppressors.

Karen F. Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of Humanities Department
Marygrove College
Detroit, Michigan 48221 USA
Telephone: 313-927-1352
email: kdavis@marygrove.edu