#37: White replies to Gill on liberation theology (fwd)

From: steven white <stevelong@spyral.net>

Dear Mark,

Please allow me to comment on two statements in your last post.

 (1)"cooperation between individuals and groups is not a characteristic
of the Haitian personality"

 This is a generalization.  It is a subjective statement, perhaps based
 on your personal experience.  In my experience with Haitians I have
 observed people coming together to do work of a communal nature such as
 planting, harvesting, organizing public functions such as funerals,
 weddings, home religious sevices (manje lwa), etc.  Perhaps because of
 the nature of your work you only see people whose communal support
 system has fallen apart.

 (2)"the methodology that marxism promotes.....is the major reason for
 the failure of liberation theology in Nicaragua"

 Liberation theology and marxism in Central America have at least one
 major goal in common: land reform. Many Marxists believe in liberation
 theology, and many of those who espouse liberation theology  are
 influenced by the philosophy of marxism. The methodology which caused
 the failure of both in Nicaragua is that of NSC 68, the statement of
 policy of the National Security Council of the United States, which
 describes the policy of containment as "one which seeks by all means
 short of war to ... block further expansion of Soviet power".   These
 means in Nicaragua included an embargo, a guerrilla war, and the mining
 of the harbors.  Whatever contribution, if any, marxism made to the
 failure of the Sandinista government must surely be seen as secondary to
 the onslaught of the most powerful nation on earth using "all means
 short of war" to bring about this failure.

Sincerely, Steve White