#248: This Week in Haiti 17:20 8/4/99 : Dorc comments

From:LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 8/10/99 10:18:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Joshua Sinai
<jsinai@erols.com>  writes:

<< First, the intervention in Haiti was implemented by a Democratic
administration,
 which was concerned about improving the situation in Haiti.  It was a
 Republican administration that pursued the anti-Sandinista campaign in the
 1980's.  Second, the Republican-controlled Congress is not particularly
 keen on any American involvement in Haiti, and in fact was opposed to the
 September 1994 intervention to restore Aristide to power. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I am aware of the parties involved in the two different situations I brought
up in my post.  However I don't think we are in conflict.  My contention is
that the White House, along with Democratic congresspeople, support democracy
in Haiti and helped Aristide return to office. (I believe if Bush had
retained the Presidency we would not have had Aristide returned to Haiti, nor
would there have been an intervention....also I believe that the Republican
controlled congress seriously diluted the level of help Clinton wanted to
provide to Haiti during the coup and after.)  The Republicans, who I feel
represent big business in this country, do not want to see decent wages and
other improvements in the quality of life of the majority of Haitians because
they want to preserve Haiti as a source of slave labor right in their own
backyard.  If they are interested in any modifications to Haitian policies,
it is to enable foreign businesses to operate there more easily and with
fewer hassles.  The same group of Republicans supported the anti-Sandinista
campaign.  I know I sound simplistic, but for the sake of making my point on
this subject, I am generalizing in this way.   I know Jesse Helms is not the
Republican party.....but he still wields a lot of power in foreign policy and
is no friend to the majority class of Haiti, or to anyone darker than his
lily white rear end.  If I failed to make my biases clear on my first post, I
do hope I have ended any confusion with this post...;)

Sincerely,

Kathy Dorcé