#520: Haitian Prejudices: Wilentz replies to Simidor

From:Amywile@aol.com

Daniel says let's not throw garbage at Haiti's teachers, who work so hard.

Well, they do work hard, and their poor students try to study, but I still
must say  that in the classrooms I've visited, the teachers certainly did not
know how to WRITE French; they may have spoken it fluently, although that was
not in evidence either. This was only a few classrooms, but it was a sorry
sight: hungry listless little guys spotlessly dressed, sitting on a backless
bench and the teacher writing mistakes onto the blackboard.

That's what I saw, repeatedly, in Port-au-Prince, and in the countryside.

--Amy