#574: Research at British Universities : Malone comments

From: david malone <malone@ipacademy.org>

 Working on the UN, the US and Haiti at Oxford, 1995-97, was fairly
 lonely, although the exceptional quality of the faculty more than made
 up for the lack of expertise.  The late Rev. David Nicholls, much
 published on the Caribbean, resided near Oxford and was very helpful
 with my work.   Rod Prince, editor of Caribbean Insight was also helpful
 in London.  Prof. L. Whithead at Oxford is interested in Haiti, but
 peripherally and mainly relative to other Caribbean and Latin American
 nations.  I left my archive of research material on Haiti to the very
 dynamic Refugee Studies Program  at Oxford, which is linked to Queen
 Elizabeth House.  In other words, there is interest in and some
 knowledge of Haiti at Oxford, but it is diffuse.

David M. Malone
President
International Peace Academy
777 UN Plaza
New York, NY 10017
malone@ipacademy.org
Phone: (212) 687-4526
Fax: (212) 983-8246

From: Mark Alan Covey <mcovey@owlnet.rice.edu>

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know of any research being done at British universities
related to Haiti (linguistic, political, historical or other).  More
specifically, does anyone know if Oxford University has any professors
that are doing any Haiti-related research?

Mark Covey