#1747: "restless Haitian soul," etc. : Laleau comments

From:NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Daniel,

I think that there is some truth in this too... not exactly the way it
sounded in the author's posting, perhaps, but --

I bought a painting in Haiti in 1994 that shows a drowning Haitian seaman
being gathered into the arms of a number of Sirenes, and taken into a
peristyle below the waters, where a voudoo ceremony is being prepared.  It
is, of course, Ginen an ba dlo.  I think this is central to whatever "Haitian
mentality" may exist in the majority class Haitians.  I think Haitian slaves
may have had a stronger sense than most uprooted Africans that they came from
somewhere else that was better than Hispaniola and slavery.  This is because
they died in such numbers in Haiti and were replaced so regularly, that this
consciousness was a direct expression of their immediate personal experience,
and it continued on a societal level on up until 1804.  After the partial
liberation of Haiti in 1804, that consciousness was absorbed in a different
form in Haitian culture at large, I suspect.  It is no accident that Ginen is
central to Haitian religion.

This characteristic of Haiti may also be part of the unconscious attraction
Haiti has for large numbers of "unusual" foreigners... (purely a hypothesis
on my part, of course, based on limited personal experience).  Perhaps other
people who feel uprooted or detached from their own culture, are drawn to
Haiti in some way because they feel an inner resonance with that nostalgia
and longing for a home they don't remember, and maybe never even had.

Sincerely,
Nancy Laleau

PS -- And I'll bet that wherever there are groups of historically oppressed
people, you will find something similar.  Jews long for Israel, the Irish
long for Heaven, and other people can fill out this list.