#1746: Diaspora: Laleau comments

From:NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Joel,

That was a splendid article. I don't have much good to say for bourgeois
capitalism or bourgeois democracy, although in Haiti's case, it would seem
that bourgeois capitalism would be progressive, just as monarchies and
nationalism were progressive in breaking up feudalism, and just as the
18th-century bourgeois revolutions were progressive in overthrowing the
monarchies... Haiti to a large extent is still a feudal society, but with
mixed capitalist features, I guess... in a way, perhaps the masses of people
want to elect Aristide to be king... and it would be progress against the
existing feudalism, I guess.  Does the country have to pass through a
benevolent monarchy or two before reaching bourgeois capitalism and democracy?

Unfortunately for Haiti and for all of us, it seems that bourgeois capitalism
is just about obsolete and is moving into some kind of two-tiered corporate
transnational imperialism.  (I don't remember exactly what Noam Chomsky
called it, but you probably know what I mean.)  So I don't think small
countries like Haiti are going to have the option of enjoying any kingship or
bourgeois democracy/capitalism at all before being gobbled up by
transnational corporations and/or economies.

Sincerely,
Nancy Laleau