#4569: Re: #4562: Restaveks (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

As long there's no law passed to abolish the use of  "Restavèk" [in-house
slave], another form of slavery in Haiti, this problem will always exist in
our society. Many people in Haiti profit from it by using these innocent
children [abandoned in the streets, from poor families, orphans...] who
should have been in school for their age [some are only four years old]. And
also, Haiti needs laws to protect children's rights and I think there should
be a law passed for all children to be registered in a school from the age
of six to 16 (where they would also attend school freely) [will Haiti's next
president care about this issue?]. We can talk, keep on talking about ways
to help them, but I think without LAWS nothing real is going to be done.
These are important ussues for political platforms and for the media [had we
had a real independent one in Haiti]. Some concerned people such as
Jean-Robert CADET (a former 'restavèk' himself) is a well-known author now
with his book RESTAVEK (an autobiography). The Haitian poet Keslèbrezo
(Kesler Brezault) spent more than 8 years working on his novel SILFIZ (a
Kreyol novel on the issue which will be out soon), just some examples of how
some people show their concern, and some former comments from CORBETTERS
(1998) but without real LAWS to protect our children there won't be any real
change in this new century.

                       E. W. Vedrine