#4690: Elections: CEP, Conyers, Pastor, Longchamp, Preval, Alexis, KIOP, NOAH, (fwd)

From:MKarshan@aol.com

CEP on method used to calculate votes: "Methodology employed to count the
votes in the first round of Senatorial elections was the same methodology
employed in previous elections when more than one Senate position was open in
each departmental race in an election.  The methodology was used in 1990 and
1995 elections without objection either within Haiti or by the international
community... Article 197 of the Constitution of the Republic of Haiti vests
the authority to resolve all disputes 'arising either in the elections or in
the enforcement or the violation of the Electoral law with the CEP.'"

Minister of Foreign Affairs Fritz Longchamp: "I don't know how an outside
body can impose certain things on a government... [The CEP] sought in good
faith a method that was closest to the spirit of the law."   "What Haiti
needs is political, social and economic stability.  Sanctions and threats
won't bring this stability."

Congressman John Conyers, Jr.:  "Everybody cannot be held to the same
standard, whether it is a nation that is several hundred years old or whether
it is a nation with only several democratic elections under its belt. Nothing
could be more disastrous in terms of (Haiti's) morale and the future of the
country than tripping up on (being preoccupied with) something of this
dimension."

Carter Center's Robert Pastor:  "This is an island nation a few hundred miles
off shore.  A lot of Haitian refugees have come to the United States.  This
has been a great concern of several administrations.  A breakdown of
stability in that country would have consequences for Florida and elsewhere.
The truth is, we cannot abandon Haiti.  We profit from their success and we
pay the price of their failure."

President Rene Preval:  "Democracy is not just elections, but the setting in
place of institutions and the respect for the separation of powers
established by the Haitian Constitution, which in the case of elections makes
the [CEP] responsible to write the electoral law, apply it, and be the judge
of last resort."

Prime Minister Jacques Edouard Alexis: "the U.S. Congress is not a Haitian
state
institution."  Asselin Charles, spokesman for Prime Minister: "The government
feels that democracy is a question of institutions, and the government cannot
interfere."

Popular organization KIOP:  "We are speaking directly to the international
community because 90% of them, in particular the U.S., is responsible for the
state of the country today.  Because instead of fostering unity in smaller
countries, they always create division.  Instead of looking for ways to help
create better conditions for the people, they create more poverty.  For
example, they send a Haitian CIA agent [FRAPH leader Toto Constant] to be a
political leader to create trouble in the country and to counteract all those
people who want to work to improve the country."

National Organization for the Advancement of Haitians:  "We believe that any
attempt to tarnish the legitimacy of the victory of the Haitian people does
not advance the cause of democracy in itself; neither does it help Haitians
to enforce their democracy system for the absence of which they were denied
any international help the last years.  Now that the democratic process is on
its way, we should be supporters of this process rather than regulators,
which would be the equivalent of adopting a non-democratic approach
detrimental to the majority."