5363: kitchen stoves = forest crematoria ?? (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@hypatia.unh.edu>

'nothing like arriving in the middle of a good movie just as the
car drives off the cliff...

will the anonymous writer please start at the beginning and enumerate what
he/she believes is important to know about the forest-to-charcoal crisis
and how to resolve it?  I think this is a perfectly appropriate survival
issue for us to tackle, on a par with saving the island tongue or dealing
with the diaspora.

there seem to be dozens of organizations and agencies doing tree-planting
in Haiti but virtually none developing alternative cooking fuels or
conservation.  am I right?  is this what you'd call naive development?
is that too polite a term?

thanks and best wishes,

Stuart Leiderman <leidermn@hypatia.unh.edu>

"Environmental Refugees and Ecological Restoration"
Environmental Response/4th World Project
c/o Natural Resources Department, James Hall
University of New Hampshire-Durham 03824 USA
  http://pubpages.unh.edu/~leidermn
  New Scientist, August 31, 1996
  Sierra Magazine, November-December 2000
  complete portfolio available upon request