6049: Re: Re: 6010: Re: 5989: Will Ayiti find true friends up north? Dorce to Martine (fwd)

From: mark gill <doctorgill@clas.net>

My guess is that Aristide will deal with the US
> in a way that casual observers will not understand but will be designed to
> say "Yes" to Uncle Sam and then do what must be done.  I don't want to
think
> it can't work, but it will take an extraordinary man to pull it off.  I
think
> Aristide is extraordinary.

K Dorce is quite correct here. It is simply the "hardball" of
"realpolitik",,,,,,,Aristide needs money, and he simply does not have any.
and, he knows that he cant print it, find it growing on the mapou and it is
doubtful a major new find of gold will occur "in them thar hills"..........

the international community will "play ball" with Aristide.........but, not
on Aristide's terms.  that is the message that has been sent, whether from
the UN, the US, Canada, et.al.........now, there is hypocracy involved,
naturally, but that is not the point...........when the "international
community" has what Aristide needs, and MUST have, then this community has
the "upper hand".........this is just what "realpolitik" is all about, and
always has been and apparently always will be........

serious observers realize that the elections are only the
beginning........the next five years will be successful to the extent that
Aristide can get help from this hypocritical "international
community".........he knows it, and the community knows that he knows
it..........Aristide can only solidify his position and plans to the extent
that he can get the financial help and credit without which he will be able
to do very little.............

m gill