6208: Re: 6203: Haiti's Battles Idle an Army of Tourist Guides (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

From:  <makandal-ny@juno.com>

I am in the middle of a personal tragedy, but I felt compelled to respond
to the Gonzalez article on tourism in Haiti.  It is factually flawed.
After a brief upsurge during the Carter years, tourism took a
nosedive--because of the repression following Reagan's election, and
because of the association of Haitians with AIDS in the first years of
the epidemic.  Gonzalez's mis- or disinformation contributes to the
amnesia that afflicts too many people about the Duvalier years.

Can we as a group compose a quick letter to the Times?  I cannot do it
myself because of a death in the family yesterday, but I would certainly
want my name included among the signers.

Lois Wilcken
La Troupe Makandal - New York City's #1 Haitian Roots Ensemble
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org