6289: Re: 6278: Son very sick in Port-Au-Prince (fwd)

From: Martha O'Brien <mobfa1@scotus.sfcpa.edu>

When I was in Haiti this past summer I contracted typhoid fever
and was extremely well-cared for by a Haitian physician.  I did not
have to be hospitalized, so I cannot comment on the state of any
hospital in Haiti; but I must say that the care I received was first-
rate.  As a matter of fact, I probably received better care from that
Haitian physician than I would have back here in Pennsylvania--I
don't think that I would want to trust a case of typhoid fever to
someone who has probably never treated one!  Additionally, Haitian
friends of mine have had all sorts of procedures (including surgery)
successfully performed in Haitian hospitals.  It seems that, as with
just about everything else, if you have the money you can obtain
excellent goods and services.