6510: Re: 6507: Re: Soup Jamou (fwd)

From: Barbara Nesin <batyat@yahoo.com>

Ma Tante Yvonne's du riz au djons djons:

1 cup djons djons
2 cups rice
4 cups water

Rinse djons djoons briefly with boiling water.  Boil 2
cups water and add the cup of djons djons.  Let soak
1/2 hour, then drain, squeezing the djons djons with
your fingers to extract all of the dark liquor, saving
the liquid.  Put in remaining 2 cups water.  Squeeze
and drain again.  Pour the reserved liquid in a
greased pot.  Season with garlic, salt, pepper, and
parsley.  Bring to a boil and add the rice.  Cover and
cook on medium-low heat until all the liquid is
absorbed.

(I too would love to know a source for Haitian Djons
Djons in the U.S.!!!  I have seen recipes that suggest
substituting the dried black Chinese mushrooms, but I
don't think the flavor or color comes close.)

Good eating!

Barbara N.