6891: Re: 6702 & 6691: U.S, Naval Mission to Haiti (fwd)

From: "Tom F. Driver" <tfd3@columbia.edu>

Joel Dreyfuss wisely responded to Robert Lawless' insightful review of the
book about the U.S. naval mission that beefed up and trained the Haitian
army:

    Good review, Robert. I think we're seeing the same misguided
    mission on the largest scale yet in Colombia. A billion-dollar
    investment in the military of a country with a weak democracy and a
    cripped judicial system is bound eto end up badly -- for Colombia.

Yes indeed.  And the Haitian story isn't over, either.  Two weeks ago in Haiti
I heard from very well informed and well educated people that a primary aim
of the so-called "Opposition" is to bring back the army.  It seems to me this
threat is always in the air, ready to be implemented if President Aristide
does not satisfy the demands of the U.S. Govt.

Tom Driver

Tom F. Driver
New York City
<tfd3@columbia.edu>