6884: Immunity (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

The Jean Dominque investigation is continuing and I'm intrigued by a
particular turn of events. Considering Haiti's long standing tradition of
totalitarianism, I find it interesting that Senator Dany Toussaint, who ran
for senator on a platform of "Security" is claiming diplomatic immunity and
is refusing to  appear before the judge who called him in for questioning on
the Jean Dominique case.
    In trying to understand the implications of Senator Toussaint's defense,
I'm wondering  if all elected government officals are now "above the law",
and if so, what steps are to be taken in a case such as that of Jean
Dominique, which involves a political assasination with infinite social
ramifications touching on freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the
effectiveness of the Haitian justice system and the democratic future of
Haiti.

Richard Morse