6996: Washington on Haiti

From: Max Blanchet <maxblanchet@worldnet.att.net>

[Federal Register: February 16, 2000 (Volume 65, Number 32)]
[Notices]
[Page 7903]
>From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr16fe00-134]

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Office of the Secretary, Washington, DC; Secretarial
Determination

SUMMARY: The Secretary of Transportation has now determined that Port-
au-Prince International Airport, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, maintains and
carries out effective security measures.

Notice

    By Order 98-1-24, issued January 23, 1998, the Secretary of
Transportation made public his determination that Port-au-Prince
International Airport did not maintain and carry out effective security
measures. I now find that Port-au-Prince International Airport
maintains and carries out effective security measures. My determination
is based on a recent Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) assessment
which reveals that security measures used at the airport now meet or
exceed the Standards established by the International Civil Aviation
Organization. Accordingly, I am removing the public notification
requirements imposed by Order 98-1-24.

    I have directed that a copy of this notice be published in the
Federal Register and that the news media be notified of my
determination. As a result of this determination, the FAA will direct
that signs posted in the U.S. airports relating to the 1998
determination be removed.

Dated: February 11, 2000.
Rodney E. Slater,
Secretary of Transportation.
[FR Doc. 00-3659 Filed 2-15-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4910-62-P