7218: Some ramblings (fwd)

From: Jedidiah <his_voidness@yahoo.com>

Villagers,
I have been in Hayti for more than three weeks now
and have a few observations that I would like to
contribute.

The Valentines day party at Laurie's place was nice.
It was strange to be around so many blan.

I have attended two sporting events, one in st Marc
at the new sportif recreation center between two high
school basketball teams. This new center is very nice
and one of the few things to do in town besides the
movies. I had not been to a high school sporting event
since I was a sophomore in l'ecole myself.

In Cap Haitian I attended a futbol game between team
St Marc and Okap. The half way point arrived with
a zed-zed tie. Early in the second half team Okap
scored. I saw a few fouls which did not get noticed
by the referee, unless grabbing a player with your
hands and spinning him around are new innovations
that I was not aware of.

At the very end of the game team St Marc scored to
thunderous applause from the stands that I was next
to. For some reason which I could not figure out the
goal was ruled out. I'd really like to see that
replay. I guess they don't have that here. Hehe.

The football stadium in Okap is a total wreck right
close by the cemetery. I wouldn't be surprized if
skeleton parts washed onto the field during floods.

Oh, it is on the road which leads to Hotel Beck, which
I visited a few days later on my new moto. The Beck
is a very nice place, contrary to all the reports
which
I have seen in journals and guide books. It is above
the mosquito zone, unlike Roi Christophe, which gave
me malaria in October.

I went to the Cinema in St Marc also, with four filles
from the neighboorhood. All of them under 20 years
old.
The film which we saw is apparently playing all over
the country right now, a Haitian film named
"Puer d'Aimee" or something like that. It is shot and
displayed on video, but is of quite good quality
in acting and image. This is the second domestic
film I've seen. Last year I saw a thriller about
a crusading jounalist who exposes the drug kingpins
in PauP and has his girlfriend murdered and himself
left for dead, he is picked up out of the garbage
dump by a back country sage who nursed him back to
health and made him into Jacki Chan.

Getting into the theater in St Marc was terrifying.
We waited outside the theater in a large well behaved
throng. The front of the theater has a wide entrance,
but all of it is locked off with iron bars except for
a one meter opening. Probably less than a meter.

As soon as an announcement was made that clients were
to be admitted the crowd turned into maniacs, jamming
to get to the front of the line. When we did get
inside it was worse, as there was another door to get
thru and this one had a ticket taker who was quite
irritated at this uncivilized behaviour.

Everyone was in their best dress, but jammed together
like a Tokyo subway and trying to push forward.
It is amazing that people are not killed in these
lines. I had to lift two small women up to keep
them from falling under the feet of the crowd and
the gro neg were not happy that I was not pushing
harder.

Some quiet observations on the political situation
before I forward on the travel report which I sent
to my sister.

It does appear to me that folks are much more
peaceful,
less angry than on earlier visits. Lape nan Tet does
in fact seem to be taking place. There are fewer
arguments on the tap tap and in the market and I
haven't seen any new "Aba whoever" signs this trip.
A lot of folks at Kanaval were wearing US flag
head coverings, which I did not recall from earlier
visits. I don't know if this is related or not.

People are putting up Aristide pictures everywhere.
Is this orchestrated in contravention of the
Constitutional prohibition against personality
cults? It doesn't seem obviously so, but I did see
a very nice T shirt with a picture of gwotid
and Feb 7, 2001 commemorating the event. It was
given to her, I assume by a party operative.

She wouldn't let me take her picture tho. Too bad.

The roads in Okap are vastly improved, actual Haitians
are even doing the work. The road between L'estere
and Gonaive is being worked on by actual haitians
also. THey are putting rock and dirt into asphalt
grinding machines and putting down good dirt
layers. I heartily approve. It could easily have
been done in 1995 of course, but lets not quibble.

So, here is my highway report

=====
J David Lyall,
AKA His Voidness, or Soy Devoid