8153: Re: 8138: Re: 8128: Re: 8121: This Week in Haiti 19:11 5/30/2001 (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< This is about global capitalism.  When the US was considering going into
 Haiti in 94, many Americans couldn't understand what Haiti could possibly
 have that would cause American lives to be jeopardized.  Well, what exists
 there besides cheap labor is the lesson that must forever be taught to the
 world by the American government and corporate world.
 No one person or group in a small 3rd world country can improve the lot of
 the people without doing it the American capitalist way.  No country can
 decide its fate democratically or even anti-democratically without including
 the Americans and all the international financial institutions designed to
 perpetuate global capitalism.  Also, the fact that the Cubans have been and
 are now in Haiti proves to be an embarassment to the US and the US does not
 like to be embarassed.  So when you ask why?  Simply answer with two
 letters.............US. >>

I guess you must be right, since I can't see any logical reason other than
that.  It's like Jesse Helm's actions to block culturally competent
reproductive health care outreach to Haitian women by the Planned Parenthood
organization PROFAMIL (see the Vodou and Haitian Politics section on The
VODOU Page ), it was pointless from a material point of view but from the
point of view of repression it made sense.

::sigh::

About the Cubans in Haiti - there is a Cuban medical mission at St. Michael's
Hospital in Jacmel, and they have done wonders for the citizens of that town.
 I don't see this as translating into pro-Cuban political sentiment, however,
people are just happy to get good medical care.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html