8175: Re: 8169: Re: 8168: Haiti: FL, Convergence on results, consequences of , , ... (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< The Haitian people has to come together, to create "movements Populaires"
 turn around the condition they are living. We cannot tolerate this anymore.
 We cannot wait on an individual to come to deliver us. We need the base of
 the country, the "paysants" "the Ti machann" "fanm vanyan" among others, to
 change the country. >>

The groups that you have named have been organizing for a long time!  They
were repressed and tortured and even murdered during the military regime, but
since the return of constitutional government they have been functioning
under better conditions, although there have been incidents directed at
women's groups and so on.

Nevertheless, the Haitian constitution mandates a president and a
legislature.  The popular organizations are generally quite active in
supporting the candidates of their choice.  In the most recent elections
their support went mostly to the Lavalas party.  The noisy and well-funded
but popularly unsupported Convergence is doing it's best to reverse those
gains.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb