13645: Davis: RE: 13638: davis on remittances (fwd)

From: Karen F. Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

I cannot speak for the other millions of people sending remittances, but I
can tell you exactly where the money goes that my husband and I send to his
family:
Clothing for 8 school-age children
School fees and school supplies for same
Food for same, plus adults
Medicines
House rent
We also send contributions to the choir & other church groups my husband was
a member of in Haiti, and, as with most people, our suitcases when we travel
are filled with medicines, toothpaste & brushes, soaps & shampoos, shoes,
(you all know the usual list!!!)

Karen F. Dimanche Davis
Associate Professor and Head, Humanities Department
Marygrove College
Detroit, Michigan 48221
Phone: 313-927-1352
Fax: 313-927-2345