14097: Seitz: Re: 14084L Arthur on Truman Capote's short story set in Haiti (fwd)

From: Suzanne Seitz <sseitz@warwick.net>
    (fwd)

Re "House of Flowers":  14084L

Cannot resist commenting on "House of Flowers".

Written by Truman Capote, he never came to Haiti, but wrote from his
impressions, and artist's mind.  Oliver Messel (Uncle to Lord Snowdown, and
famous set designer - "Gigi", etc.) did the sets, and Trinidad born Jeffrey
Holder danced in one of the two times the musical was produced on Broadway -
never a popular hit, but a very respected production.  Both Messel and
Holder never visited Haiti when the musical was produced, although Holder
spoke Creole by rote.

Sir Oliver Messel (by then Sir) finally came to Haiti some time in the
1970's to research architecture for his development of the Cotton House, in
Mustique, and other homes he designed.  Jeffrey Holder, my dear, cherished
brilliant friend, came on his own in the 70's also, after his role in the
James Bond "Dr. No" in Jamaica.  Both creative genuises were not
disappointed in the exotic country.  Jeffrey became a "regular", and Sir
Oliver became one of my mentors, who corresponded with me until his death
years later in Barbados.

A bit of wonderful background will never balance the problems of the the
moment, but in truth Haiti will always be that magic place.  It is so sad it
cannot fulfill the basics so its charisma can flow as it should.  Cheers to
all.

Sue Seitz.