14124: Edouard -News- Noriega on Resolution 822 (fwd)

From: Felix Edouard <loveayiti@hotmail.com>

Organization of American States

www.oas.org

ADDRESS BY Ambassador Roger F. Noriega
ON FIRST REPORT OF SECRETARY GENERAL TO PERMANENT COUNCIL
ON IMPLEMENTATION OF RESOLUTION 822

Washington, DC

December 9, 2002

Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman.

The Delegation of the United States wishes to thank Assistant Secretary
General Einaudi for his report and for his dedicated and sustained personal
efforts in favor of democracy in Haiti. We also wish to thank Ambassador
David Lee and the members of the OAS Special Mission to Haiti for their hard
work.

The United States is committed to democracy in Haiti and remains convinced
that the path to this goal is clearly set forth in the commitments made in
OAS Resolution 822, approved unanimously 95 days ago. Resolution 822 laid
out a clear process for the Government of Haiti, with support from the OAS
Special Mission, to promote a climate of security, strengthen the rule of
law, and prepare for free and fair legislative and local elections in 2003.

The political violence of recent weeks, some of it committed with direct
support of the Government and its adherents, which has produced the failure
to reach closure on formation of the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP),
shows that the Government has yet to fulfill its commitments. This is
despite the unstinting efforts of the OAS Special Mission and other parties
to provide guidance and mediation to facilitate any Government efforts.

We call on the Government of Haiti to act immediately to cease gang
violence, to pay in full the reparations due for damages from the violence
of December 17, 2001, and to dramatically improve the security climate,
particularly for those Haitians trying to exercise their fundamental civil
rights.

When these steps are accomplished, we expect the Convergence Democratique to
do its part by naming its representative to the CEP. Convergence
Democratique representation in the CEP is critical, and it must take an
active role by nominating a qualified member. We note that, at least before
the recent unrest, some members of civil society were willing to participate
in this process as the most democratic route to a resolution of Haiti’s
political crisis.

This is critical, Mr. Chairman, because only a CEP that includes all key
democratic sectors could conduct elections worthy of the support and
recognition of the international community.

At the same time, the Government must follow through both on the letter and
spirit of its other commitments under Resolution 822. Among these are:

.
· Enacting measures to strengthen the independence of its national police
and judiciary. Key among these would be the dismissal of known corrupt
officials from among the high ranks of the police.

· Undertaking a comprehensive disarmament program, one that takes weapons
away from the gangs that are currently controlling the streets in places
like Gonaives and Cite Soleil. A disarmament program that does not reduce
criminal violence is not an effective program.

· Following through on other still-unfulfilled commitments under OAS
Resolution 806.

· Implementing steps to support human rights and the press, promote national
dialogue, and ensure the independence and security of the Electoral Council
once it is operational.

These measure, if enacted, will significantly improve the political climate
in Haiti and help ensure that legislative and local elections can take place
next year in an orderly, fair and transparent manner.

We in the OAS community must do our part to demonstrate our continued
commitment to Resolution 822. A crucial issue is funding for the OAS Special
Mission and elections in 2003. Member and observer states need to redouble
their efforts to make certain that the Special Mission has the resources it
needs to carry out its important work.