14248: Hyppolite wishing Haiti a Happy Birthday (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

I think it's fair to wish Haiti after all, a Happy Birthday. We must still
be cautious regarding how we approach this celebration. It has been indeed a
difficult year for all sides. Yet, one thing remains certain. Haiti may be
becoming itself.

I was surprised when in 2000, Aristide chose during his re-election
campaign, the slogan "peace in the mind, and peace in the belly". The reason
of my surprise is rooted in Haiti's history.

After the independence in 1804, it took Haiti a good 17 years if not 18, to
realize peace through Boyer's deal with the king Charles X of France. That
was a bad deal, as we all know. It cost us 150 million francs, although we
barely paid one-fifth of that amount.

After reading and hearing about Aristide's re-election's slogan,  I thought
that I should go back and check, based on some historical perspective. I
realized a few things. I'll be quick (or will try to be).

The first thing that I realized was, that Haiti's independence was the
result of a historical compromise between old and formerly freed people.

The newly freed people represented by mostly rich, blacks (affranchis) and
mulattoes, had all kinds of privileges, except that they had no political
clout. They made peace at first with the slaves leadership (people like
Christophe and Dessalines), and gave us independence. The reason why? They
wanted political power. And yes they had their wish!!!!!!!!

After that and because of Christophe's poor calculations, the old freed
people (blacks and mulattoes) got all the political power. As a result, the
relationship between the newly freed people and the old freed people became
eventually, that of master-slave, albeit tempered. That kind of relationship
subsided until much later. Well in fact, until very recently.

I am not going further into explanations here. Hopefully and eventually,
those of you who are interested to know will eventually realize why I say
so. I am indeed working on my first book that will tap on this subject.

In the late 1980's, the political landscape had matured to change with the
much awaited slogan of "tout moun se moun", everyone is someone, or we are
all born equal under the same God. (Kind of sound like John Locke and
Jean-Jacques Rousseau's argument) Many from the old school, the old elite,
thought it repugnant, and understandably so if one tries to understand
Haiti's history. It is at least to me, the result of those in power's
refusal to accept that political power has to be shared among everyone. The
best way to do it is through elections where it comes down to the very
basic: one man, one vote. It is a hard, difficult, terrifying thing for
people accustomed to things otherwise for over a century to understand that
and agree to it. That is where we are now.

When on December 16, 1990, people went in drove to choose a new president,
it was the culmination of a long, long fight. This was the first day that
Haitian people, rich and poor, blacks and mulattoes had an equal chance to
mark their point in the political process. So they did. This is indeed, at
least as far as I am concerned, the anniversary of the second independence.

Now, we are at a historical corner where once again, everybody is asking for
peace. It's the same thing that Christophe and Pétion were searching for
through different policies. Aristide must understand, that he is not the man
who will give Haiti peace. What he should fight against is war. We are still
in a struggle. A struggle where democracy should and must prevail. A
struggle where the old elite must understand that the only way they can have
access to political leadership is through democratic elections: one man, one
vote.

To those of you (Pétion style left-wingers) who have petitionned on this
list for Aristide to resign now... Well, despite my and many others'
misgivings about Aristide #2, I reserve you the word of Cambronne (you
Haitian know what that Cambronne word is).

Now, if Aristide decides to become a Boyer, I truly, deeply feel sorry for
Haiti. In fact, I understand his administration's complaints about not
receiving international aids. As an example, all these European countries
have gotten to where they are now either through colonialism, or through the
Marshall Plan, or both.

But what the Aristide administration should understand, at least as far as I
am concerned, is that they are in a struggle. We should therefore not be in
no hurry as a people. Peace, for Haiti, is an elusive term at this point.
Stability and struggle for our country, Haiti's success should be the
important goals. If he wants to be a Jean-Pierre Boyer, then I truly feel
sorry for Haiti. For there is peace ... and there is peace.

What we must all fight for at this point is democracy ... democracy, ... and
the rule of law, the rule of one man, one vote so everybody has the same
access to the basic power of running the country. This is a time for
positive struggle. This is not the time for peace.

As my departing words on this issue, Haitians from the far left and the
far right can celebrate Haiti in their homeland, even if they don't
celebrate in the same household.

Happy Birthday, Haiti. Let's pray that we can all have a bash next year this
time. My heart, soul, and brain goes to you my motherland,

Hyppolite Pierre

IRSP
http://www.irsp.org