14288: Laleau: Re: 14270: Burnham posts re: electricity,

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Thor--Perhaps the "resignation" issue is complicated in Haiti because
there's little history of regular elections much less transitions of power
in
mid-term. The U.S. has a procedure when a president demonstrates
malfeasance
and dereliction of duty--the impeachment process. We can remember Nixon
and
Watergate, and Nixon's resignation in the face of impeachment, wasn't it?
Bill
Clinton didn't have to resign, but just barely. So U.S. recent history at
least
has cases of legal process being used to deal with public displeasure in
the
mid-term. I'm not familiar with Haiti's entire history--I remember coups,
assassinations, and people getting on airplanes in the middle of the
night, but
no public legal procedure. --nancy laleau