14323: Senou: New Approach (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

After 200 years, we have to realize by now that we
have failed as a nation, now it is time to change.
Human being resists to change but change is
inevitable. In the late 1980’s we have seen talk
between the apartheid government and the black in
South Africa. Later, we have seen someone released
from Jail to become president and He (Mr. Mandela) was
the only one who could have done that in South Africa.
He was neither a priest nor a pastor, but we all can
say, he was a man of God. He had compassion and the
spirit of forgiveness. You don’t have to tell me if
you are a pastor, priest or a religious man/woman, in
your action I will see that. We teach by examples.
	Some of us are blessed, we could have been among the
65 % and plus illiterate in Haiti. In seeing some
photographs about our Haitians brothers/sisters in the
Dominican republic http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/race/
.  (Click on the photo in the right column.) One can
see the miserable life they are enduring.
	Today we have to see the Haitian phenomenon
differently. We have no time to remain pessimist. If
the Black and white in South Africa can manage to
abolish the apartheid, if the Germans can unify
Germany, now there are talks between the Palestinians
and the Israelites, the Irish catholic and protestant,
north and South Korea. That’s mean, communication has
power and we shall use it to help our country as well.

	The collapse of the negotiation between the Lavalas
and the Convergence is not a reason to lose hope. Now,
we have seen the mistakes from both sides and know
that these two protagonists have difficulties to find
a negotiated solution but if others get involved they
might help them out. Therefore, we have to call upon a
new mediator. That mediator might be a group or a
trusted person by both sides. OAS as well as the UN
had failed, therefore, a new mediator must be found.
That person or organization must be neutral. But let
me put my two cents on it: A national solution for a
national problem. Haiti has 9 Departments, 27
Arrondissements + the 10th Department (Haitians who
are living oversea), Each department must send a
representative = 9 Plus 3 from abroad =12 and each
arrondissement must send one. In all, we will have 39
members. These folks should organize town meeting
throughout the country to hear the people for a period
of three months. Then they will discuss among
themselves without any pressure from anyone. They will
submit their final recommendation to the people of the
country. Upon an agreement, these folks will call OAS,
UN, EU, CARICOM and others to witness the signature of
a pact crafted by Haitians for Haitians.  Anything
from outside will be a quick fix but will not last,
remember the 1994 Resolution, a Haitian solution must
be found and the Haitians people must be involved.

In less than 30 days all eyes will be directed toward
the Persian Gulf which is going to become the theater
of the first modern war in the History of the world,
Haitians will be left alone to resolve their eternal
crisis. 4 days had already passed in this decisive
year and nobody knows what is going to take place when
schools resume next week in Haiti. The peaceful
protest in Venezuela has turned violent and Haiti is
expected to follow the same path.  If thing continues
this way, Haiti is expected to be the only country
that is not going to capitalize on its bicentennial
celebration.
We could have used that golden opportunity to launch
the country and various Haitian organizations
throughout the world but for personal interest,
jealousy, ambition and greed we are going to let it
go. Our behavior is directly linked to our pocket.
I wish the Haitian leaders could find a political
compromise before March. Put in place a coalition
government and ipso facto bring stability in the
country. This crisis is not going to go away, so far
we spent 31 months and many more to go without any
result, unless we determine to resolve.
There is no need to have or even thinking about any
election right now, if we are serious about resolving
the problem.
Assume you have an election today and we do have a
pretty good idea about which party will likely win the
majority of seats in the congress, will this solve the
problem? No.
This is my POV: Haiti needs to put in place a strong
coalition government that must decrease the insecurity
phenomenon, invest in agriculture, create job and
opportunity, build schools and stabilize the economy
and put in place a strong police force and a rapid
deployment force.

Joseph Alfred
P.O. BOX 334
Smyrna, GA 30081