14322: Wilson: on the visa charges

From: Richard Wilson <riwilson_6442@msn.com>

 I went to Haiti the week of Thanksgiving.  I had been warned by this
list,
firends, and the American Airlines representative in Miami to expext to
pay
$100 for an entrance visa to haiti.  I came prepared.  I was required to
fill
out extra forms the day of arrival (11/26/02) but there was no chargeg.
Friends who arrived the following day (11/27/02) were not required to fill
out
extra forms--all was as usual.  I talked with a Haitian friend who has
contacts
in the government and was told that the plan to charge for visas was still
under discussion.  That was over a month ago.  I have not heard if they
are
actually charging the fee now or not.  but if they are it seems, in the
words
of a Haitian I talked with, "the government has the ability to kill the
cow
that gives the milk."

Richard Wilson