14325: Benson: Article from Catholic paper re aid to Haiti

From: LeGrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

>From LeGrace Benson. This is for information only and does not carry any
opinion pro or con from the relay person:

>From Our Sunday Visitor a Catholic weekly circulated nationally in the US,
29
December 2002 :

###CRS rep: Aristide's the man [Illustration "An Aristide Supporter}
A leading relief official says American and other nations should release
aid to
Haiti that they've been holding to protest President Jean-Bertrand
Aristide's
manipulation of elections last spring, including the intimidation of
opposition
candidates and voters.
"If the politicians are not suffering as a result, the mases are," said
Godlove Ntaw, Haiti representative for Catholic Relief Services(CRS).
    The only aid currently going to Haiti is from nongovernmental
organizations
such as World Vision, Save the Children, CARE and CRS, the U.S. bishops'
international relief and development agency.
    Ntaw said CRS's $11 million budget for Haiti is "a drop in the bucket"
because massive funding for infrastructure--namely roads, plumbing and
irrigation--is needed.
    Although Haiti's bishops recently suggested Aristide step down or make
serious reforms, Ntaw said Aristide is the right man for the job.
    "Where the international community is making a mistake is in listening
the opposition," Ntaw said. Even with totally fair elections, the
opposition
would lose because "the masses don't trust them, " he said.
    The masses believe Aristide "is the person to move them forward." he
said.
But Haiti's upper and middle classes are disillusioned with him, and an
increasing number of Haitians have expressed frustration with Aristide's
government, according to Ntaw.