14519: Durban on Corbettland in French : Corbett comments at the end

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

Does discussion on the Corbett Forum have any impact on what's
going on in Haiti?  Is anyone listening down there?  My own
guess is that the impact is slight and that there is probably
not much of a following for one main reason:  The conversation
is in English… or at least broken English.  Most of the movers
and shakers in Haiti are, of course, far more comfortable in
French or Creole.

Would a French Corbettland make any  sense?  Would it eventually
expand the conversation, and perhaps help resolve some of the
very real problems discussed on this list?  For every Dorce, we
have a Nadal.  Could we help show others that there is room for
both sides of the political spectrum in the same house?

For the sake of discussion, let me toss out an idea which came
to me some time ago.  I refer to what we might call Corbettland
– Version Française.

A bi-lingual Administrative Manager would handle the finances,
because Version Française will need one (or possible two)
competent and extremely discreet English to French translators.
I suggest the Admin Manager be a volunteer based in the USA.
The  translator(s) would be paid  positions and could be located
anywhere, but I would suggest they be based in Haiti where
salaries are reasonable.  The Admin Manager would be able to
monitor translation quality, but could use part time voluntary
assistants to help in this effort.

NOTHING would originate in Corbettland - Version Française.
Every numbered Corbett post would retain the same number, the
same identification of authorship, and an identical little
disclaimer on the bottom for those inevitable translation
errors.

Readers would have to be registered as members of the ORIGINAL
Corbett List.  That is, they would have to have signed on with
our host, Bob Corbett.  In signing on, they could stipulate (1)
English Only, (2) French Only, or (3) Both.

All submissions to Bob would continue to be English only, and
the contributor would have to be a list member… unless Bob
chooses to post something from a non-member, as he sometimes
does now.

The paid translator(s) would work every day, turning the day's
submissions around in 24 hours.  They would  probably be paid by
the word, although that would need to be worked out.  As I
mentioned, they would post through a server using the same
numbers for each post that Bob had originally assigned.

Inevitably, bi-lingual people reading the French version will
complain that something wasn't translated right.  They will have
to complain to the Admin Manager directly, since his e-mail
address is being used to send version française out.  He will
have the right to either (1) ignore the complaint, (2) respond
directly to the individual complaining, or (3) announce and
print a CORRECTION if he feels there was indeed a serious
translation error.  Note the CORRECTION would be labeled as such
and carry the same number as the original posting.

This is all food for thought, and obviously Bob's benediction
would be needed on the effort.  It would be quite interesting to
see if such an effort would generate more participation by
people in Haiti.  One can almost envision Deputé X from Grande
Anse trying to explain to the group why he said such and such
about the gas price rise. OK, OK, maybe there are some things
that no politician would want to touch…

In closing, I don't discount the tremendous additional effort
that would be needed, and I would like to state at the outset
that my contribution on this idea is limited solely to what you
have read here.  Still, I would encourage discussion on the
idea, and whether, in fact, it might be worth undertaking.
Obviously, if there are any volunteers out there (of time or
money) who would like to get involved in Corbettland – Version
française, perhaps they could contact Bob directly.

Lance Durban

======================

Corbett comments:

Lance's idea is certainly an interesting one.  However, in three places
his version of this idea involves me.  I will reply to those three:

1.  Would it violate the Corbett list rules to have the posts translated
and posted in French (or Creole) in a second version of the list?

I can't see that it would, so that would be no problem.

2.  Lance suggests that when people join the Corbett list they do so
either for English only; both or French (Creole) only.

Lance, sorry, I simply CANNOT take on more work and that is a LOT more
work.  People join and unsubscribe daily.  I just don't have the time.

I will continue the Corbett list as is and can't take on more work.

3.  Lance suggests people contact me about this idea.  Again. NO, PLEASE
DON'T.  I often spend 3 hours and more a day running this list and I
just don't have the time to take on my e-mails.  Sending you the mail to
the list is only part of my work.  I personally respond to many e-mails as
we quarrel over personal attacks, or discuss post I won't post, or I'm
looking up things in my library program and what not.

I simply don't have the time to have ANY connection to Lance's idea at
all.  Lance says his connection with this idea will have to end with this
note.  And I have to say:  The idea's neat, but it just can't involve me
in the SLIGHTEST.  I am overwhelmed with the work as it is, so if any of
you wish to follow this up you'll have to do it on your own.

Also, I'm not going to clutter the list with discussion of this.  If
someone wishes to write me to volunteer to the be the point person to whom
all mail and discussion would be addressed, then I will post that note.

Otherwise, the Corbett list will just have to continue as it is.

I'm in no way at all discouraging the idea.  I think is has promise.  I am
just being realistic and saying :  I can't get involved.  I just don't
have time, and I'm not going to clutter the already very busy list with
the discussion of this idea.  Those interested will need a leader and all
mail will have to go to that person.

Bob Corbett