14704: Edouard replies to Makandal on ruling oligarchy (fwd)

From: Felix Edouard <loveayiti@hotmail.com>

The list that Saint-Vil provided may include some people who "supported" the
coup. It also included many people simply based on their economic status at
the time. Many on the list have since gone on to become business and
political partners with Aristide (fact not fiction)

However, my comment was based on the question of people who ,so called,
"financed" the coup. A rumor which has been stated so many times many have
assumed it to be fact. When the Treasury Department put that list together,
it included Military,government officials (actual and de facto), public
entities as well as many private individuals. The private individuals were
included at the last minute to put additional pressure on the Military to
give up power.(you can check that on the web)

Your idea of researching private individuals, determining their
citizenship, tax status is unproductive at best. An invasion of privacy and
a declaration of a class war at worst. It focuses on the past not the
present or future. As we approach 2004 and I think we could do better.

Somehow I think you believe that Haiti would be better off if the 10
wealthiest families closed their businesses and moved to the Dominican
Republic.  Can you tell me who would replace them? Americans and other
foreigners are not willing to invest in Haiti. But, than again, who needs
the "the Imperialist" dollar?