14784: Charles-Mathurin: Haiti Solidarity Week First Annual Conference! March 4, 2003 (fwd)

From: Eugenia Charles-Mathurin <eugenia@haitireborn.org>

Please post for us. thanks

Haiti Solidarity Week First Annual Conference! March 4, 2003
Sponsor: Howard University’s Haitian Student Association

Dear Friends,

Haiti Reborn, a project of the Quixote Center has the privilege
of inviting you to be a participant in Haiti Solidarity Week
(HSW) First Annual Conference, entitled “How to Organize on
Haiti?”  Haiti Solidarity Week (HSW) is an annual week of
international grassroots mobilization.  Haiti Reborn uses HSW
to bring Haiti into the eye of the North American public.
Therefore, this conference will tackle the issues that are
closest to the Haitian people’s hearts and will allow
solidarity activists and organizational leaders to participate
in strategy sessions about these various topics to plan future
work.

Haiti Solidarity Week First Annual Conference is scheduled for
March 4, 2003.  Howard University’s Haitian Student Association
is hosting and sponsoring this event.  Thus, this conference
will take place at Howard University’s Blackburn Center in
Washington, DC from 9 am – 5 p.m.  The following topics will be
explored: HIV/AIDS Pandemic, Human Rights issues, Debt (Haiti’s
external debt), Migration and the Let Haiti Live Coalition,
which has a campaign calling on the U.S. government to release
over $500 million in humanitarian aid that is currently being
withheld from Haiti.

Haiti is at a critical stage, and as activists and organizers
we need to pull our efforts together and mobilize strength to
help Haiti get out of this impasse.  Come to DC to attend this
conference and learn how to organize on Haiti.  We have chosen
March 4 to have the conference in order for it to coincide with
the upcoming Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) Haiti Health
Forum, which is scheduled for March 5, 2003.  Those of you who
will be coming from another state to attend our conference can
also participate in the CBC event if you so choose.  For
admission we are requesting that participants bring one or two
items for donation to take part in the HSW Material Aid
Campaign. Please see the attached list to choose the items that
you would like to bring.

The staff of Haiti Reborn looks forward to having you as a
participant in this conference. All participants must RSVP by
February 26, 2003.  If you have any questions or you plan to
attend this conference please contact Eugenia at 301-699-3443
Ext. 110 or via e-mail eugenia@haitireborn.org.

Kite Ayiti Viv!

Eugenia Charles-Mathurin and Melinda Miles
Haiti Reborn/Quixote Center

HSW Humanitarian Aid Campaign!
List of Items Needed

Educational Materials:
Notebooks
Pens
Pencils
Chalk
Filler papers
Papers
Erasers
Folders
Art supplies
Tapes
Glues
Color crayons
Scissors
Rulers
Backpacks
French/English Dictionaries
Creole/English Dictionaries

Sports Equipment:
Nets
Soccer balls
Volleyballs
Basketballs
Shoes
Uniforms

Food:
Water filters
Cooking oil
Rice
Beans
Canned foods *non-expired*
Powdered milk
Pasta

Medical Equipment and Supplies:
Aspirin 100mg non-expired*
Aspirin 500mg non-expired*
Ibuprofen *Advil* non-expired*
Tylenol adult *acetaminophen* (ETC)
Children Tylenol non-expired*
Infants Tylenol non-expired*
Coughs and cold medicines non-expired*
Folic Acid
Alcohol
Antibiotics
Over the counter Iron, supplement
Multivitamin + Calcium
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin B-12
Vitamin B
Multivitamin/Children
Motrin
Pediacare
Pregnancy test
Calcium
Condoms
Kotex
Tampon
Towels
Infants formula
Breast pumps
Blood pressure cuffs (infants, pediatric and adult)
Stethoscopes
Thermometers (po and rectal)
Scales (adult and infant)
Tongue depressor
Nasal Cannula
First Aid Kit
Optician Kit
Latex gloves
Band aids
Reading glasses
Bar of Soaps
Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Deodorants (male & female)

Kite Ayiti Viv! Let Haiti Live!
Eugenia Charles-Mathurin, Office Manager
Haiti Reborn/Quixote Center
P.O. Box 5206
Hyattsville, MD 20782
Phone (301) 699-3443 Ext. 110; Fax (301) 864-2182
www.haitireborn.org

P.S.  more info and the Let Haiti Live action kit are available
online at: www.haitireborn.org