14786: Fouche: Re: 14772: Dorce: Re: 14765: Edouard:Haitian-Americans Republicans (fwd)

From: "[iso-8859-1] Rachel Fouch" <vze4xd3t@verizon.net>

I find Ms. Dorce's comments somewhat disingenuous.  In the case of Haiti, in
order to put "people first" you need money -- much in the same way one would
need money to put "money first."  Different goals, same means. The
establishment of a Haitian Republican party only serves to better influence
US policy in Haiti, much in the same way Cuban exiles have influenced US
policy with regard to Cuba (which I think is ridiculous in this day and age,
but it reinforces my point).

If the goal is the economic improvement of Haiti, then one should not deride
the establishment of a Haitian Republican Party -- those ARE the people in
power in Washington DC right now, and you get a lot more by handing out
carrots rather than pulling out the ligoise.   A sustainable economy is what
the Haitian people need first and foremost, and if this Haitian Republican
Party can re-establish confidence with the capitalist corporate sector, I
say "where do I sign up?  Do you need some assistance?"  I would love to
live in Haiti permanently one day -- without needing to wear my US passport
like a religious amulet.

While antagonizing "The System" may be de riguer for the "enlightened" set,
it saves a lot of grief by working to change the system from within.  Haiti
needs more Machievelli and Huntington, not Lenin and Mao.  That, in my
opinion, is Haiti's greatest problem:  a heaping majority of Haiti's
intellectual and economic power lives outside of the country, trying to
force change from abroad with their "first-world ideas" instead of moving to
Haiti and working to develop democratic traditions from within.  There is no
country to date that has succeeded with the overwhelming absence of the
middle class amongst its ranks of citizenry, folks -- and I seriously doubt
that Haiti will go down in the history books as the example to the rule.

One has to have the muscular strength to stand and walk -- crawling is only
an indicator of things to come.  For Haiti that strength is MONEY and
JOBS -- nothing gets done without it, period.  We, as a community of
"intellectuals," need to stop getting mired in high-minded hot air and stop
criticizing people who are trying to get things done.  Haiti needs your two
hands -- not your two cents.