15180: Burnham: coconuts and coconut trees (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

I'm in denial about the Iraq deadline, but thought that i should
throw something i heard at the list for feedback or discussion.

Several days agao i had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of a Swiss
aid worker  who, at the young age of 70, has more energy than any three
people i know.

In all of her travels through Africa, the Caribbean and the South Pacific,
she told me that Polynesia might have a solution to a Haitian problem.

Apparently, Polynesia had acute problems with deforestation and wood as fuel
for cooking. She tells me that they planted the barren hills with coconut
trees.

the benefits were multiple: lots of coconuts, a tree cover for the hills to
stop erosion, and coconut husks for cooking fuel.

i thought the idea to be intriguing. is it possible in Haiti?
food for thought?

best,
Thor Burnham