15179: Anonymous post: Pina on Deibert (ANONYMOUS, PLEASE) (fwd)

please post this anonymously. thank you! :

It's no surprise that the linked essay so impressed Pina to name Deibert as Haiti's "Voice of the voiceless."  And to think that I had thought that to be Edwidge Danticat's job! Bref.
There is something disturbing about Pina's post, just as their is something ironic about Deibert's essay and Pina's maudlin praise thereof.  Pina claims that "no other journalist has since [Deibert's essay] shown the same courage and objectivity in explaining Haiti's current reality." This claim is a slap in the face to all of the Haitian journalists who daily labor under well documented threats, some of which are orchestrated by the very same forces that Pina often defends.
Foreigners very rarely get threatened in Haiti, so how on God's green earth can a Reuters Haiti correspondent possibly demonstrate more courage than a Haitian who lives full time in Haiti, all her life, while trying to write the truth obejectively (often on a typewriter!)?
What pitiful irony, given Pina's likely intentions in praising Deibert, that the linked article ends with a "lavalassian" (sic) claiming that "Now, at the very least, I can sit on my steps and talk to a journalist." That's all well and good, to speak with a blan who is a Reuters correspondent, but could a Haitian journalist sit calmly and speak with the same "lavalassian"?  Highly unlikely.
Deibert's journalistic masterpeice, by the way, begins with a sentence that is 80 words long.  Can't wait to read his novel !!!