15599: Leiderman: shipping guns to Haiti (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

dear Group:

I'm having a strong reaction against the Americans implicated this week
in news stories posted here about the weapons, ammunition, uniforms and
other military items shipped to Haiti recently and received by someone
affiliated with a church mission there.

while a country might tolerate the entry of such items if accompanied by
the actual owner or his agent, and then decide about permits,
confiscation and/or deportation, no country should be expected to
tolerate that kind of shipment to a second party already in-country.

I think it was extremely foolish for the fellow in Haiti to accept
receipt of those things from his friend.  doing so puts the credibility
of their church in doubt and endangers the well-being of the Haitians who
depend upon their church's goodwill.  it also slurs the reputation of
other Americans who work in and for Haiti and its people.

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman