17950: Burnham: RE: 17943: (Hermantin)Sun-Sentinel-15-Westminster students raise $3,000 to build school in (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

This isn't meant to be a controversial post, but it's a point of discussion
for the list. And i'm not asking the question with any animosity. I'm
curious to hear both sides of the argument. I ask the question because I
can't resolve my own feelings on the issue.

I think building the schools is great etc., but i am troubled by the idea of
people going to Haiti to build schools, orphanages etc, or paint buildings
in volunteer projects. I just don't see the point of sending
middle-class/upper-class kids to volunteer to build things when you have an
unemployment rate of 70-80 percent. (of course everyone works in the
"informal economy", whatever merit that definition has)

If a group wants to raise money to build a school/hospital etc., fine. I
have no problem with that. But to send groups of people to actually build
the place seems really silly. I say this because Haiti has no shortage of
skilled masons or people willing to pick up a shovel. Does the purported
satisfaction and personal fulfillment of the foreign group outweigh the
necessity of employing and empowering locals? Or is the only way you can
separate people from their money to actively involve them?

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, let me say that i'm not talking about
medical missions and the like who bring trained people into a situation
where they aren't already there.

seeking enlightenment
best,
Thor Burnham