18333: Kathleen: peace in papay

From: kathleen burke <kathleenburke704@hotmail.com>

Last night, the full moon was so bright one didn't need a flash.  It
dominated the sky over the church, and the little cat made me laugh when
she
chased the dog, three times her size, out of the yard.  When I left Haiti
sixteen months ago, she was a baby, now she's pregnant.  And timid!  Even
the hens could scare her away from her bowl.  A few lessons from mama li
and
she's caught on.  The neighbors (inconnu) ate her predecessor.
I am in the real Haiti, Dan and friends, and I keep hoping that it gets
BIGGER.  I am in the lush and leafy Central Plateau.  Tonight, I walked
down
the road before twilight, stopped to greet various friends on the way to
Dieugrand's; many of the women and children were carrying water on their
heads (in pails, of course).  I arrived at D's half hour early (well, I am
at least half American) but good for me!  Having walked it twice, I
informed
D that I would die if I walked it again. So, I got a ride to the MPP
Center
in a truck - in the front seat between two guys, the truck bed charg with
anpil moun deya.  What an entrance!  Many young people at the center; a
new
session for animateur training starts tomorrow AND I got to see and talk
with Agathe, back from medical school and opening a clinic here, and
Miranda, a young American (22) in love with Haiti so on our path.
Better go - I hope to get on again next week; I descend Saturday to be two
days in advance for return on Feb. l6.  Best wishes to all.  The weather
here is PERFECT - cool mornings and nights, sunshine, breezes.  Kathleen
Burke