20570: Esser: Patterson urges Caricom to hold ranks on Haiti (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

The Jamaica Observer
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com

March 19, 2004

Patterson urges Caricom to hold ranks on Haiti
Observer Reporter

JAMAICA yesterday urged its Caribbean Community (Caricom) partners to
hold ranks on the Haiti issue as Prime Minister P J Patterson
signalled that he has no intention of engaging in a diplomatic spat
with Barbados over Jamaica's decision to host deposed Haitian leader,
Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

But Patterson also disclosed that his foreign minister, K D Knight,
notified Caricom governments, as well as the United States and
Canada, about the Aristide visit on March 11 - five days before his
arrival.

"In accordance with the principles by which the Community has been
guided, it is essential to our unity of purpose (on the Haiti issue)
be maintained and that there be total cohesion on all fronts,"
Patterson said in a statement.
"Accordingly, Jamaica does not propose to become engaged in any
internal wrangle or diplomatic row."

The prime minister's remark was an obvious response to media
portrayal of remarks in Bridgetown by Barbados' foreign minister,
Billie Miller, that she was informed "after the fact" about Jamaica's
decision to allow Aristide to come here for up to 10 weeks.

"This is clearly a matter between the government of Jamaica and Mr
Aristide but there are clear implications for us..." Miller said in
the Barbadian parliament.

Caricom countries, including the Barbadian prime minister, Owen
Arthur, criticised the manner in which Aristide was removed as
Haiti's leader on February 29 and were angered that the United
States, Canada and France bailed out of a Community plan that would
have had Aristide stay in office but share power with his opponents.

Patterson, in yesterday's statement, said he felt his decision to
entertain Aristide's request to come to Jamaica - from exile in the
Central African Republic - to reunite with this two young children,
was "consistent with the spirit and tenor" of an emergency summit by
Caricom leaders in Kingston after Aristide's overthrow.

"Given Jamaica's tradition of providing temporary refuge for
political leaders and other personalities from Haiti and elsewhere,
our present leadership responsibilities in Caricom and our renowned
capacity for extending hospitality to families wishing a private
reunion... I proceeded to make the necessary arrangements to receive
him here," Patterson said.

The Jamaican leader also reminded that Gerard Latortue, which has
criticised Aristide's presence in Jamaica, has been among Haitians
who have found refuge in Jamaica.
He came to Jamaica in 1963 after Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier came to
power, and lived and worked here before going to Puerto Rico.
.