20578: Slavin: Jacmel Film Festival Planned for July (fwd)

From: JPS390@aol.com

http://www.jacmelart.org/wst_page7.html

On behalf of the Jacmel Art Center, I wanted to announce this news:

Jacmel Art Center
In celebration of two hundred years of Haitian independence, the Fondation Sant D'A Jakmel is planning a festival of films representing a summary of the history of cinema in Haiti. From July 9th to July 18th 2004, two hundred films and videos will be publicly shown in multiple venues throughout the city of Jacmel, a city renowned for its cultural orientations.

In collaboration with local residents, businesses, institutions, and local authorities, screenings will be held in some of the city's historic coffee houses, public squares, hotels, private homes, nightclubs, schools and civic buildings.

It will be the first time such an event has occured in Jacmel and most likely also the first time many of the selected films will be seen in the city if not also in Haiti. Both fiction and documentary works, produced by Haitians and foreigners, encompassing some of the earliest films to the most contemporary, will be shown in what we intend to be an informative celebration of identity, diversity, humor, tragedy and imagination.

If you would like to participate in the festival, please contact us.

For further information, contact:

Fondation Sant D'A Jakmel
5-7 rue St. Anne
Jacmel, Haiti WI