20619: Antoine: 20577: Nealy: RE: 20547: Antoine: Re: 20513: Esser: Constitutionality in Haiti (fwd)

From: Guy S. Antoine <webmaster@haitiforever.com>

David Nealy wrote:

> M. Antoine, I did read your message, in spite of the risk of
> corrupting me (What's that all about?).

Well, if you don't know, you have proven your incorruptibility,
so there is no need to ask.

> I can sympathize with some of your points, but you come on
> too strong. ("butt-kissing"?)

I may come "too strong" with my words, but I carry no weapons,
so please send that advice to the American GI's patrolling the poor
neighborhhods in Haiti.  That's where "coming on too strong" can
truly make the difference between the life and death of an innocent
bystander, unless you would believe that only American casualties
matter when it comes to securing peace in Haiti.  Do not worry
about my radicalization.  Do worry about the consequences of
radicalizing the Haitian people.

My references to "butt-kissing", sorry about offending your
sensibilities, was in reference to some posts on the list, basically
stating: "What's wrong with the Haitian people?  You asked us
to get rid of Aristide.  We did, and now you are complaining!
Can't you just say thank you for once?"  I am sorry, David, but
again, I am not going to butt-kiss Americans who come and tell
us that there must be something wrong with our genetic make up,
that they acted in our interest and not theirs, and that we should
simply shut up and not "bite the hand that feeds us" (exact quote).
Sorry if I offended anyone, but that is exactly my response, and
I do not pretend to speak for all Haitians, but what I have said,
I will say it again: No butt-kissing of Tarzan-minded Americans,
period.

> The reference to the US 2000 election isn't helpful in my opinion.
> M. Bush WAS elected according to our constitution...

Well, I am not going to turn this list into an inquiry of the US 2000
elections, and the list manager would not allow it in any case.  But
suffice to say, electoral college or not (and yes, sir, I had to learn
all about it in order to become an American citizen like most of you
on this list), I am sure that in November 2000, at least 50% + 1
American voters did not agree with your assessment.  If I can make
one generalized statement about Americans, it is that their national
discourse has been FAR MORE pragmatic in terms of moving on
than the Haitian (or Friends of Haiti) international discourse that
has been mired in evaluating electoral percentages from 4 years ago,
and 4 years during.  The only election that matters in the States is
the one coming up in November 2004, as established by the
Constitution of the United States of America.  And, make no mistake
about it, I will be voting, as long as I am able.  I wish that my Haitian
brothers could do the same and that their votes could be counted for
something.

> Let's get this in perspective. The preceding suggests a failure in
> governance.

And so what?  Who is defending the governance of J.B. Aristide?
Who is defending the governance of Georges W. Bush,
Our Federal Governor?  Which military power will suggest that
He leaves office to avoid rebels taking over Washington, D.C.?
Pray, tell.

> Also, the recommendation that American marines should "limit
> themselves to distributing potable water, food, medicine, seed,
> technical knowledge, etc..." sounds fine until one asks what they
> should do if shot at.

Thanks, David, for supposedly quoting me, but in my dictionary,
"keep ... busy" IS NOT SYNONYMOUS with "limit themselves
to".  As you see, I can speak for myself, and I do appreciate it
when people do not put words in my mouth.  In my defense, I will
simply restate, verbatim, what I said in my post to the Corbett list:

"I am demanding that MY federal governor keep U.S. soldiers
busy distributing potable water, food, medicine, seed, technical
knowledge to the Haitian population each and every day that
Washington deems it necessary for them to stay there.  That is
the price of redemption for occupying a country.  Do it each
and every day and the Haitian people may come to appreciate
your presence, but continue to "disappear" them and see if
you will not end up radicalizing a peace-loving people.
As though that's what we need today in "America's backyard".

I don't see how what I have written precludes American soldiers
in any way from their obligation to protect themselves from
injury, because they too, have fathers and mothers, wives and
children waiting back for their safe return in the United States.
I believe that I have made it clear that I am just as interested in
their welfare as you are, David.  And I do not say that, hypocritically.

> In some of the other posts read here, it is encouraging that people
> address constructively the current needs of the Haitian people
> and their many problems.

Sorry if I fail the mark in your point of view!  But I do believe
that I have dedicated myself to address constructively the current
needs of the Haitian people and their many problems (to my
limited abilities... that's for sure.  Men se pa yon sèl dwèt ki
manje kalalou.)

Guy S. Antoine
Windows on Haiti
http://haitiforever.com