20735: Laleau: Re: 20721: (Chamberlain) Haiti to integrate rebels into police force (fwd)

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Too many former human rights violators and former members of the Haitian Army
were ALREADY included in the new Haitian National Police in 1995. I know this
statement will be denied, but I was there and I knew the facts through my
work as an OAS civilian observer. I met some of these former FAdH who were in the
Haitian Police, and some of them were okay and some of them were absolutely
NOT OKAY.  There was some screening done, but it was far from thorough. Human
rights organizations need to have some input into the criteria and selection
process of the HNP. Probably the best thing JBA did for the country was reduce
the army to the several dozen or so members of the marching band. Too bad the
rest of them were not disarmed. This too will be denied again on the List, as
it was before, but I was there and I stand on what I know from my direct
experience. The FAdH were not disarmed, as recent events should be demonstrating.
--nancy laleau