20760: Kathleen: Re: 20746: Barnden: Re: 20676: Antoine: Re: 20629: (Chamberlain) Latortue praises rebels (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

I had just returned to the U.S. from Haiti in July 2002 when friends at "The
Bookstore" in Gloucester alerted me to the tale in the NYTIMES of the
tractor used in the jailbreak in Gonaives and the release of prisoners,
including Metayer.

It was significant because it was practically the first article on Haiti to
be published since my departure for that country in May 2000, with the
exception of a profile on Aristide by David Gonzalez, also of the New York
Times.

Many significant events took place between 2000 and 2002, and also before my
departure for a 29 day stay on Jan 19, 2004.  On Feb 5, 2004 reports of
Metayer's murder were dispensed over the radio stations in Haiti.  Two days
later, the uprising in Gonaives was widely reported all over the world, and
the news frenzy began.

I wish there had been coverage as  things evolved; more than that, I wish
that the johnny come lately coverage was accurate.  The errors are too
numerous to list here.

Kathleen Burke