20761: (Chamberlain) 20760: Kathleen: Re: 20746: Barnden: Re: 20676 (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net> wrote:

> July 2002 (...) the tale in the NYTIMES of the
tractor used in the jailbreak in Gonaives and the release of prisoners,
including Metayer (...) was practically the first article on Haiti to
be published since my departure for that country in May 2000, with the
exception of a profile on Aristide by David Gonzalez, also of the New York
Times.

There were plenty of articles during those two years (all stored in
Corbettland) .  The three main international new agencies (AP, Reuters,
AFP) also cover Haiti on a daily basis, year-in year-out, and this gets in
newspapers and other media.  Not as much as in times of crisis, to be sure,
but it's available to all of us online.

> I wish that the johnny come lately coverage was accurate.  The errors are
too numerous to list here.

That's always a problem.  People can't follow every country every day of
the year, so you get reporters sent in who have to learn about the place
quick and mistakes get made.  But usually they're mistakes of omission
rather than plain factual errors.  It isn't a "mistake" if the reporter
simply doesn't report what one personally thinks should be reported.

        Greg Chamberlain