21002: Higbie: Creolistically challenged (fwd)

From: Janet Higbie <jhigbie@nytimes.com>

So I went to the opening of the excellent "Haiti on Screen" at New York
University last night. Speaking afterwards about the current state of
cinema in Haiti, one of the film makers, Arnold Antonin, slipping between
French and Creole, mentioned a certain film as being more popular than --
it sounded like Ti Tannik.  Knowing a little Creole but not as much as I'd
like, I was puzzling over this, trying to figure out who is Tannique and
why is he or she so small and so popular?   It turned out, of course, to be
a reference to a certain film from a few years back starring Leonardo
DiCaprio and Kate Winslet....