21061: Esser: 62 Haitians relocated to $35-m Montpelier facility (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

The Jamaica Observer
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com

April 02, 2004

62 Haitians relocated to $35-m Montpelier facility
VIVIAN TYSON , Observer staff reporter

MONTEGO BAY - Sixty-two of the 179 Haitian refugees who fled their
country over a month ago to Jamaica and were being housed in
Portland, were yesterday settling into the government's $35-million
housing and learning facility at Montpelier in St James.

The group, which comprised men, women and children, arrived at the
facility Wednesday night after being shuttled by bus from Portland.

They were examined yesterday by a doctor who visited the compound.

Minister of Land and Environment Dean Peart, told the Observer
yesterday that the remaining 117 Haitians are expected to arrive at
Montpelier in another two weeks, at which time, phase two of the
project is expected to be complete.

"We are expecting that phase two of the project will be completed in
another two weeks, so we can move the others," Peart said.

Faye Headley, parish co-ordinator for the Office of Disaster
Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) in St James, told the
Observer that although work on the facility was not complete,
sections of the property were finished.

"We have completed some sections such as kitchen and bathroom. Some
of the houses have been completed for the people to occupy them," she
said.

Meanwhile, Peart said the Haitians would remain at the facility for
an indefinite period of time.

"We do not know when Haiti will be back to normal, but we are hoping
that they will stay at the facility for about four months," he said,
adding that whenever they leave the facility, it would be used as a
station for security personnel.

Yesterday, there was tight security presence at the entrance of the
complex, and journalists were barred from entering the property.

A policeman told the Observer that he was given strict instructions
not to allow anyone beyond the gate. "We were told not to allow
anyone on the compound. I am sorry," he said.

There was no sign of the refugees, and the only visible sign of life
on the compound were soldiers and workmen.

Peart had previously announced that a learning facility would be
established at the facility, but yesterday Headley said that part of
the plan would be examined as soon as the Haitians had settled in.
However, she said activities would be provided for those who are
presently at the facility.

"We will be having activities planned towards their (the refugees)
development We do not have many children here, but there are a number
of young people, and so activities are being planned for them,"
Headley said
.