21062: Esser: US senators hail Patterson for hosting Aristide (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

The Jamaica Observer
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com

March 31, 2004

US senators hail Patterson for hosting Aristide

Two US senators have commended Prime Minister P J Patterson for
hosting ousted Haitian president, Jean-Bertrand Aristide and his
family and requested that Jamaica continue to extend her hospitality
to the family, a statement from the foreign ministry said last night.

The senators - Tom Harkin and Christopher J Dodd - also praised
Patterson for his "steadfast support of Haitian democracy", the
statement said.

In a joint letter to the prime minister last Friday, the senators
wrote, inter alia, "We were heartened by your willingness to host
President Aristide and his family in your country during this
difficult time. Your steadfast support of Haiti's democracy is also
to be commended."

The senators added: "You have played an invaluable role in developing
the Caricom Plan of Action. I am hopeful that you will continue to
stay actively involved in the process. It is essential that the
Caribbean Community and the Organisation of American States work
together to find a long-lasting political solution to the situation
in Haiti."

Aristide, the senators said, has repeatedly expressed his gratitude
for Jamaica's hospitality.

"We too are grateful to you for allowing him to reunite with his
family in your country," they told Patterson.
.